Problem solving in your apartment…

How to get your electricity meter reading

Your electricity meter is located in a locked room in the basement car park, to which access has had to be limited to ensure it is secure.  If you require a meter reading, follow this link to submit your request. If you need monthly meter readings, we can arrange this too. Email us at to set this up.

We currently obtain meter readings on Tuesdays and Fridays, and will email the reading to you the same day.  To ensure social distancing during the Coronavirus outbreak,  we are unable to offer access to residents.  

If you are moving out of your apartment, let us know your moving date and we will arrange a meter reading as close to that date as possible.

Accessing your water meter

Your water meter is in a service cupboard in the corridor outside your apartment – normally adjacent to your bathroom. The fire door to each cupboard has to be kept locked.

The Association can arrange for a Water Meter reading for you. (process is the same as for Electricity Meter Readings).

If you need to turn off your water supply at the meter, email us at and we can arrange to unlock the cupboard for you. In an emergency, you should contact the Managing Agents for access.

Need a new lock for your mailbox?

Mailboxes for all apartments are located in the front lobby. Technically they belong to the block leaseholder, but individual apartment owners are responsible for the cost of any repairs to their mailbox (including replacement locks).

Mailbox locks can be easily replaced if they work loose or fall out. If you rent your apartment, tell your landlord.

Replacement locks are available from Calder Security Ltd., Unit 2B, Roundwood Industrial Estate, Wakefield, WF5 9SQ. (off the Dewsbury Road, just before the M1 junction).  Cost is around £10-15.

Need to re-program your heater controls?


Your panel heaters and towel rails are controlled from the Horstmann ChannelPlus control unit on your hallway wall.  Despite what it says on the unit, it does NOT control the hot water cylinder! “Water” controls actually control your Towel Rails, which you can turn on and off independently from the panel heaters.

Instructions for re-programming the times for your heating and towel rails can be found hereIndividual heaters can be isolated using the wall switch alongside each heater. Towel rail switches are outside the bathrooms.

No hot water?


The timeswitch for your water heater is in your main electric panel, recognisable by a small “window” on the front of the unit, through which you should see a LED display. If the display is blank, it could mean the internal battery has died – they all do eventually – and you won’t get any hot water.  This is more likely to happen if your apartment has been empty and the power turned off for some time.  You can test it by lifting up the front panel of the switch (it’s hinged at the top) and pressing the “reset” button with a pen or pencil. If it’s working, the default settings will appear within a few seconds. If it’s not, or if the display goes blank again, then you’ll need a new timeswitch. If you rent your apartment, tell your landlord.

The timeswitch is made by Greenbrook, Model No. T80-C. Most electrical wholesalers stock them, including Jack Hinton Electrical in Flanshaw Way and Edmundson Electrical in Tadman Street.  Cost will be between £20-30+vat. User instructions can be found here . If in doubt, ask a qualified electrician to fit it.

Does water continue to run into your toilet after flushing?

The dual-flush toilet cisterns fitted in bathrooms at Hebble Wharf require occasional maintenance to ensure that the water flow stops after the cistern has refilled following the toilet being flushed.

Limescale in the water can build up on the valve seal in the cistern, preventing a watertight seal. It may be possible to remove the limescale by cleaning, but after a number of years it is recommended that the seals are changed. New seals can be purchased online quoting the original Armitage Shanks part number from a range of suppliers. Here is a link to one supplier:

Instructions for removing and changing the valve seal can be found here. If in doubt, consult a plumber.

Hot or buzzing switches in your electric panel?


The contactors (switches) for your electric heating circuits are liable to overheat if they have been fitted alongside each other without spacers in between. It appears this is how they were installed from new in most apartments. Contactors that have overheated may also make a loud humming or buzzing sound. If they do, they will need replacing. If you rent your apartment, tell your landlord.

The contactors are Hager ESC225 and are available from Edmundson Electrical for about £25-30 each.  Ask a qualified electrican to fit them – and make sure they fit Heat Dissipation Inserts (spacers) between them – and between the contactor and the hot water timeswitch. These inserts will cost around £3 each.

Door entry system stopped working?


 Hebble Wharf’s door entry system is the Comelit Diva intercom system comprising an outdoor control panel (maintained by Hebble Wharf’s managing agents) and a user panel in each apartment, for which the apartment owner is responsible – not the Managing Agent.

If it appears the intercom has stopped working, there are several things you can check on the user panel in your apartment before reporting a fault on the system. See pages 4 and 5 of the user manual. In particular, check that the volume is turned up (using the lower of the two dials on the side of the panel) and that the ‘privacy’ function has not been inadvertantly turned on (which deactivates the intercom). If the privacy setting is activated, the red light will be continuously on.

Before calling the Managing Agent to report a fault with the system, ask a neighbour to check whether the door entry system is working in their apartment. If it is, the problem is likely to be in your apartment and if you rent your apartment, you should report the problem to your landlord