Problem solving…

Need a new lock for your mailbox?

Mailbox locks can be easily replaced if they work loose or fall out. If you rent your apartment, tell your landlord.

Replacement locks are available from Calder Security Ltd., Unit 2B, Roundwood Industrial Estate, Wakefield, WF5 9SQ. (off the Dewsbury Road, just before the M1 junction).  Cost is around £10-15.

Need to re-program your heater controls?

Your panel heaters and towel rails are controlled from the Horstmann ChannelPlus horstmanncontrol unit on your hallway wall.  Despite what it says on the unit, it does NOT control the hot water cylinder! “Water” controls actually control your Towel Rails, which you can turn on and off independently from the panel heaters.

Instructions for re-programming the times for your heating and towel rails can be found hereIndividual heaters can be isolated using the wall switch alongside each heater. Towel rail switches are outside the bathrooms.

No hot water?

The timeswitch for your water heater is in your main electric panel, recognisable by a T80-C-1small “window” on the front of the unit, through which you should see a LED display. If the display is blank, it could mean the internal battery has died – they all do eventually – and you won’t get any hot water.  This is more likely to happen if your apartment has been empty and the power turned off for some time.  You can test it by lifting up the front panel of the switch (it’s hinged at the top) and pressing the “reset” button with a pen or pencil. If it’s working, the default settings will appear within a few seconds. If it’s not, or if the display goes blank again, then you’ll need a new timeswitch. If you rent your apartment, tell your landlord.

The timeswitch is made by Greenbrook, Model No. T80-C. Most electrical wholesalers stock them, including Jack Hinton Electrical in Flanshaw Way and Edmundson Electrical in Tadman Street.  Cost will be between £20-30+vat. User instructions can be found here . If in doubt, ask a qualified electrician to fit it.

Hot or buzzing switches in your electric panel?

CaptureThe contactors (switches) for your electric heating circuits are liable to overheat if they have been fitted alongside each other without spacers in between. It appears this is how they were installed from new in most apartments. Contactors that have overheated may also make a loud humming or buzzing sound. If they do, they will need replacing. If you rent your apartment, tell your landlord.

The contactors are Hager ESC225 and are available from Edmundson Electrical for about £25-30 each.  Ask a qualified electrican to fit them – and make sure they fit Heat Dissipation Inserts (spacers) between them – and between the contactor and the hot water timeswitch. These inserts will cost around £3 each.

Door entry system stopped working?

comelit Hebble Wharf’s door entry system is the Comelit Diva intercom system comprising an outdoor control panel (maintained by Hebble Wharf’s managing agents) and a user panel in each apartment, for which the apartment owner is responsible – not the Managing Agent.

If it appears the intercom has stopped working, there are several things you can check on the user panel in your apartment before reporting a fault on the system. See pages 4 and 5 of the user manual. In particular, check that the volume is turned up (using the lower of the two dials on the side of the panel) and that the ‘privacy’ function has not been inadvertantly turned on (which deactivates the intercom). If the privacy setting is activated, the red light will be continuously on.

Before calling the Managing Agent to report a fault with the system, ask a neighbour to check whether the door entry system is working in their apartment. If it is, the problem is likely to be in your apartment and if you rent your apartment, you should report the problem to your landlord